Sunday, May 18, 2008

Let's set up a photocopying shop! Part 2

How unfortunate, but I do not seem to be making much money out of this =(

Since I've been working on the set of How the Other Half Loves, I've had little time to handle photocopying and hence can produce very low output. As a result, my share of the market supply is even lower when put next to that of the monopolist. Consumers wouldn't bother with me and would stick to the trusted monopolist. Hmm.

Obviously there is no sense in trying to compete with the monopolist head on. The monopolist has plenty of Economies of Scale which I can't compete with. A photocopying machine of that size costs thousands(my check found one for $4500), so they have the advantage of being able to use indivisible capital. They also get marketing EOS since they buy copier paper in bulk and buy toners in large quantities too, while I buy copy paper in smaller packs that are more expensive per quantity of paper and spend great amounts of money on printer ink too(feeding Brother's monopoly on ink cartridges).
Also, the monopolist is getting business sent right to their doorstep, since the teachers pass all copy orders to them, effectively setting up a great barrier of entry for me. Hm.

Ah well. I'll just have to use this weekend to think up of means to compete with them. =D

Yi Sheng

No comments: